Saturday, December 5, 2009

Easy Morning

Yesterday I was to make 2 big fruit platters. It turned out, with the schedule I was on, that I only could manage to complete one of them. Meaning I had to come in on my day off (today) in the morning to make the second platter by 2pm. Working with the fruit that was ordered deemed to be difficult. The watermelon I used yet again had mush for insides but I decided to try to carve it anyways. I wanted to mesh a flower pattern with a design pattern, so I expierimented and it looks kinda cool. Every cut I was scared that the whole thing was going to collapse in on itself. Turns out it held up ok. Who knows how well it will hold up during the delivery, crazy drivers. All in all both trays were a sucess. Enjoy.




































































3 comments:

  1. how long does it take to pull off a tray of that size?
    how much wasted fruit is there once you've finished? (carved out pieces, peels, etc.)
    any idea how much of a tray people actually eat? i'm not sure i'd touch one because i'd be afraid to destroy the art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work TJ!

    - Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Answers:

    1.It takes about 8-9 hours to do two large trays.
    2. Waste is half a big garbage bag, dunno maybe 40lbs.
    3. Depends on the rest of the menu to determine how much they eat. Most of the time they eat more than half. Sometimes they take the fruit home. How it works is no one touches the tray for a while and everyone just looks at it then as soon as one person takes a peice off it, people swarm it.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Kitchener / Waterloo, Ontario
I have been carving fruit in Kitchener, Ontario, for 5 years now and have done hundreds of exotic fruit platters. This is my portfolio following my life as a fruit carver. If you like what you see and are interested in having your own fruit platter, please contact me at tj.cushing@gmail.com. Thank you for browsing my blog and I hope you enjoy the photos.